Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hi, my name is Amy and...

I got a wake up call this morning. Not the hotel, ringing in your ears, scare the living daylights out of you it's so loud call, but the you had better open up your eyes and see what you're becoming kind. God sat me down and showed me what I was making of my life.
You see, I struggle. And it's lame. Like, seriously lame. I struggle to trust Him. I have these crazy delusions that I know how to do things better. I live like I know how to run my life better than the One who made life in the first place. (And I'm ADD so we all know that's not working out so well...) And I put on my blinders once again and started to live like He didn't care about my life, like He isn't capable of crazy awesome things and like I have to completely depend on myself.
Bogus.
This morning He got all up in my grill. And I'm glad He did. He opened my eyes to see all these unbelievable things He's done that I oh-so-quickly forget. He reminded me that it was only 4 months ago that I even realized that photography was exactly what I'm supposed to do with my life. He reminded me that I didn't even have the camera or half of the things I needed to do this business and no funds to make it happen, and yet, though there's more I need, He has brought along all the necessities for most of my clients. (And I can rent the rest for the time being) He showed me that I have been given the most amazing, I want to be their best friends clients, every time. And He showed me that I had stepped away from the awe and gratitude that I have the ridiculously awesome privilege of capturing peoples' stories in this beautiful way and chosen to worry about the business details.
I apologized. A lot. And asked Him for help to keep coming back to how beautiful it is that I get to participate in lives in this way. I don't know if there is a more beautiful, sacred role. And I love it. And I'm grateful. And I'm going to stick a post-it note to my head (thank you, Mandy for single-handedly changing my life with post-it notes...and your friendship) to remind me that this life, this moment is beautiful. And He cares. And He's a lot bigger than I ever gave Him credit for.


I'm gonna go relax and enjoy life. And maybe even wear my ear muffs, because according to one little lady I know, it's all the rage...

2 comments:

  1. I love how absolutely down to the gritty honest you are!! And could anyone be any more insanely talented? Seriously, I think you need to plan a trip to New Orleans and come photograph my family! Your pictures are awesome, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of you. You are such a talented writer and throw a God given photography talent with it- such a fantastic combo. I think every person should live their life color coded & with post its! I'm blessed by you, all the time. Thanks for being Amy!

    ReplyDelete