Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Secrets

I don't really know who even reads this crazy compilation of stories and pictures of my awesome family, thoughts on life and pictures of BEAUTIFUL people who are wiling to step in front of my camera, but in light of that, I wanted to share something special with you...
Several artists within our church got together and tried to help us experience Advent (the season of celebrating and entering into the experience of what it was like to wait for Jesus to come) in a new way. Through their mediums they helped us understand the darkness and what it meant for Jesus to enter the scene as the light of the world.
One of them struck me. Like, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was an exhibit called "Secrets". When you went back in to view the piece that was nearly hidden in the back corner, you saw something standing nearly 3 feet tall that was enclosed by fabric. I walked over beside the piece and looked down in. This is what I saw.



Chains and barbed wire came together to create a sea of entanglement. I couldn't get the image out of my head. I walked away and started to wonder what would happen when we got to the light portion of the experience. What are they going to do with that? Is there another piece waiting to replace it? Would the chains be gone?



That's what. Exposed. Messy. Open. Out there. It wasn't completely fixed at that moment. It wasn't clean and neat and pretty. It was a mess, but it wasn't hiding anymore. A light shown onto it illuminating all that had been hidden and somehow also made it beautiful.

I will draw no conclusions for you. That's not the point of this post. It just spoke to me in a way I can't seem to put words around and I just felt like I should share it with you. Thank you, Emma for sharing it with our church. And for prompting me to put it all out there in my own life instead of trying to hide, because with the entrance of the Light of the World, all the rules have changed and I don't have to hide anymore. You rock, lady.

2 comments:

  1. It was a brilliant piece. The tangles and mess are still there but the light exposes it and no longer does it hide in the shadows. Thanks for sharing this and your GREAT pics of the event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this piece. I hadnt looked at it quite in that light...but your thoughts have brought new perspective...and they make sense!

    Jaimie

    ReplyDelete